Feb 19

How To Taste The Most Flavors In A Cigar

Posted on Wednesday, February 19, 2014 in Informational

ipw0061Following up to the poll I did last week where many of you gave me your feedback answering to one of four questions about how you experience flavors in a cigar, here are my best tips and tricks for getting the most flavors possible out of a cigar. The results were a little surprising to me, with 9% of respondents saying they taste zero flavors in a cigar. If I can help just one person start to open their world by experiencing at least some flavors, well then mission accomplished. This is expanding a bit on the tips I gave in my How To Smoke A Cigar video (which incidentally turned in to the most popular video on the subject in the WORLD) which was geared towards everyone especially new smokers. This is for those that have been smoking for a while to help them change the experience for the better. As always, everything is just my opinion, but based on a LOT of experience. Enjoy!

1. Christopher says:

Super informative. Thanks Bryan. I had my first Oliva V Melanio today…no problems tasting flavors there, what a cigar!

2. yairbarojas says:

Bryan! Wow, you hit the nail in the head with the last tip: Holding your breath while taking a puff…thats me. I just always did that because I was afraid of accidentally inhaling the smoke and making me cough or feel a bit nauseous.

I’ll try to inhale and exhale while taking a puff of the cigar. Thanks again brother!

3. WishIHadAHumidor says:

Great Video as always. Lots of good and accurate info.

4. MCoontz says:

Bryan, you are so passionate about your cigar experience and passing that passion on to us, and I personally thank you for that. I’ve been following you for about 2 months now and I have to say thanks to you my cigar experience has changed and become so much more enjoyable. Your “how to smoke a cigar” was so helpful for me. I was smoking way to fast. I now get really excited when I taste something new that I had never experienced before. I’ve been smoking cigars again now for about a year. In the past two months, thanks to you, I have tasted cream, nuts, salt, and dark chocolate. Not to mention your typical wood, and tobacco. I’ve experience barn yard hay etc. It’s been great. Thanks so much!

5. Tuck29S says:

I dip wintergreen snuff daily and fell in the median of your sample. It will be interesting to see if I’m in the 8% after quitting.

6. kpoper says:

Very good information. While I taste some things I think the hold my breath may have locked other taste out.

Good Job Bryan!

7. hisunkc says:

What a good tips! Thank you.

8. yosef5 says:

I can not get the video to come up on the flavors

9. niclash says:

Hi Bryan! I really like your humidor setup video, and i can see that alot others also like it! Dont you think its time for a mew update on that with better quality?

Thanks for the awesome videos! Keep it up!

10. yosef5 says:

I can not get the video on flavors to go
    What can I do?

11. MDSPHOTO says:

I can’t get over the fact that 8% of the group can’t taste anything in their cigars. Perhaps these are the people that are smoking Gurkha’s! Sorry………It was just too easy!

12. PsycotikMind says:

Wow! Thanks for the tip, Bryan. I never realized I held my breath when inhaling. I used to get the flavors just on the tip of my tongue. Now, I’m getting a mouthful of flavor.

13. kmthiebaud says:

Great video thanks, Bryan!

14. socks says:

Very informative

15. cameronjm says:

Wow, thanks Bryan a great tip. I just realized that sometimes I could taste and other times I couldn’t and it all goes back to whether I was holding my breath or not. I wasn’t even conscious to the fact that I was or wasn’t breathing.

I love the site and all of your videos. Keep up the great work!

16. padron80 says:

Its not rocket science just smoke the fucking thing.

Since you can’t be civil and I’ve given you enough chances to not be a troll, here’s the door (banned).

• cameronjm says:

Very good. I am no prude but I can’s stand people that cus in their posts just to get a rise out of people.

• ohiodirtbag says:

bang!

on another note.. i was one of the ones who put i just like it or not.. i get the flavors and some really come through but just cant get to saying they taste like food flavors.. maybe if i was water boarded.. but there are some the flavors are just so good but i forget what i smoked and go back to searching the next great cigar.. love the smell though, just so good.
        also, try walking into a horse barn with cigars in your pocket..it’s funny..horses love the smell.they will try and take it from you if you let them. well, that’s my opinion..oh yeah.GO BUCKS..F- MICHIGAN!

17. emurphy0220 says:

Bryan, thanks for the tips. I can pick out the big flavors usually, but struggle sometimes with it. Sat down tonight with a Rocky Patel Edge, and I’m definitely picking up stuff I’ve never tasted before. I still couldn’t tell you what I’m tasting, but baby steps…..

• cameronjm says:

I am just barely learning to pick out subtle flavors of a cigar. I can esily tell if it is something I like or don’t like and can tell the difference between mild, medium and full flavor but I can’t tell you what exactly the flavors are.

I did however smoke one yesterday and could distinguish a definite flavor (thanks to your tip of breathing naturally through the nose while drawing on the cigar) a definite flavor of hay and horse stable earthiness.

Let the training of my pallette begin!