Jun 19

Samsung Galaxy S4 vs Apple iPhone 5 Video Comparison

Posted on Wednesday, June 19, 2013 in Polls

Samsung Galaxy S4 vs Apple iPhone 5 Video Comparison

So which of these looks better to you and why? This was a relatively low light level test, one phone in each hand, the mics were clear and open. Zero processing to the video or audio, straight out of cam for both files. Both were the front facing cams which is what is most needed for vlogging. Interestingly the Samsung Galaxy S4 records in stereo while the Apple iPhone 5 records in mono.

Samsung Galaxy S4 vs Apple iPhone 5 Video Test

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

1. PDHelmuth says:

Though both phones have positive and negatives about their video, that would put them about the same. When it comes to the audio, HANDS DOWN IPHONE.

2. Bryan Glynn says:

I just figured out the latest update to the poll software buggered comments. Looks like it’s time for a new one.

3. Keith.VanMetre says:

iPhone wins. Nice house, by the way.

4. Consigliere says:

It looks like the iPhone has the best image quality, and the iPhone looks better for low light and color saturation. Audio is definitely better IMO on the iPhone due to the lack of echo that was so noticeable on the Samsung. Winner: iPhone.

5. Jason Isbaner says:

The sound was better on the galaxy s4 but the video looked better on the iPhone 5. The sound was not bad on the iPhone just a bit duller. I would go iphone

6. Jared says:

The sound was significantly better for the Samsung, but the video actually looked better on the iPhone. There was a little pixilation on the Samsung video as it tried to catch up with your movement, but the iPhone held on better and played more smoothly.

7. Walshy says:

Not only did the iPhone sound better (even in mono) it adjusted to the light differentials much smoother and quicker. The iPhone just made a better video. Hands down.

8. Boucher207 says:

I’ve used both and absolutely love the S4.

9. Boucher207 says:

There is a reason why the S4 is the Number 1 smartphone in the world right now.

• jpculp57 says:

The S4 isn’t even close to the #1 smartphone in the world right now. The iPhone is still the king because there are still around 6 million iPhone 4′s being sold a month and around 5-6 million iPhone 5′s a month. The iPhone outsells the S4 by around 15% worldwide.

10. pittjitsu says:

the Samsung killed it audio wise. However, the Apple had much better video and a much faster response to light changes. I’m still a fan of the androids for nothing more then the freedoms you don’t have when using apple products

11. Kipp says:

iPhone fuh sho.
    I wouldn’t say the sound was significantly better either way because they both have a different approach. iPhone 5 has a warmer tone and blocks out background noise, while the gs4 is more of a raw sound and you get extra bg noise.

But that was IMO iphone hands down for video quality.

This is a completely unbiased oppinion which just happens to be posted from my iphone 5.

12. AngSolo says:

I’d say iphone was better in video and it didn’t have the echo that appeared with the S4 sound wise.

13. garlar10 says:

cool video. I gotta go with the iphone on this one.

14. cigarraider says:

You did the comparison test all wrong. Needed to do it in a cigar lounge filled with smoke and loud, drunk poker players. THAT would have put the phones through the ringer.

15. Gigalo de Vitolas says:

I’m an android guy and would never bother to look back after switching from the iphone. But the video quality was better with the iphone, slightly sharper and brighter. The sound goes to the S4, iphone sounds a bit muted. In my opinion the iphone is like a cuban, so many restrictions, mostly hype and was a chic thing to own. The S4 fully customizable, no restrictions and just the real deal.

16. Michael says:

I’m not crazy about either but if I had to pick one the iPhone wins for me both in sound and image quality. The samsung appears to have more reverb even though the iPhone sounds more compressed. The Samsung has a flatter image but doesn’t do so well in low light where the iPhone has more saturation and contrast.

best video you’ve done

iphone

18. geekfish says:

iphone better for video and sound. iophone sound was much clearer for the audio with the voice. definitely seemed to filter out the background.

19. Joseph Szeremet says:

I have a deep loathing for all things apple. That being said the iphone video was a bit clearer, the sound quality was basically a tie in my opinion. I apologize in advance but as a biblical scholar, I must say this stupid joke: eve chose the apple and we all know how well that turned out.

20. sdh3237 says:

I thought the IPhone has the better picture and sound.

21. Miguel says:

Quality video image & clear sound, iphone all the way!

22. HerbalJedi says:

ya right apple fanboys the galaxy was better all around. Oh ya and its bigger, faster, better built, more options, no STUPID ASS ios and andriod wont use your camera for shady spying. Galaxy = iphone smasher

get angry about technology much? ^

24. NeverTwoOld says:

Sound – Samsung (Apple sounded somewhat dull and muted by comparison)

Video – iPhone (Samsung seemed much darker during your rotation)

Overall – iPhone (The sound difference wasn’t a big enough deal to overcome the lesser video quality of the Samsung.

25. Sooperman8 says:

Iphone wins. I went from a iphone 4 to a S3 and that was a big mistake. I HATE the S3! Mail takes forever to get. I have to refresh it to even get mail. My messages sometimes takes awhile to get through. I got my S3 for $35 and I like the real estate on the S3 and that’s why I went with the S3. If your considering going from a iphone to a droid. DON’T DO IT!

26. rockjock says:

I am an iPhone 4S user. I thought the iPhone 5 video quality was significantly better, but lost in audio test. If you want video/youtube go with the iPhone. If you want to podcast get the Samsung. Would be interesting to see this compared to your Canon.

27. rgmenke says:

The iphone picked up the light better. The sound was close to a draw. Are you picking one for your upcoming trip?

28. CajunCigarlover says:

I like the audio quality on the Samsung much better (especially for outdoor cigar reviews) and the video brightness and clarity much better on the iPhone. My vote was for the iPhone even though I’m a Samsung S3 user.

29. jpculp57 says:

Sound quality clearly goes to the S4 but the video was terrible.

Iphone has much better video but just OK sound and since you’re looking for a video blog phone I’d say you’d have to go with the one the produces the best video. I’m sure there’s a mic you could buy and some sort of mixer app that would help the sound.

30. eric.hanson says:

The audio on the iphone is much better imo. I also think the video quality looks much clearer on the iphone, my vote goes to the iphone.

31. garret says:

I’m an android fan… However, I agree with what most people are saying. Video on the iphone and audio on the samsung. The low light stuff is what to look for in a good cam and that demo clearly shows how much better the iphone did in low light and it appears to focus faster as well.

32. gholmes9 says:

I have used both. Honestly since i expect a phone to be just that, then the Samsung is the better choice. I will say the video of the iphone was better with a sharper image.

33. markbrown247 says:

The iPhone wins both on audio and video. I’m using an iPhone to view it. My two cents.

34. Kace says:

Te iPhone video was much more brighter. Showed the red paint on the wall. I could barely see the walk paint on the galaxy. Also, on the glaxy I could hear the echo in the house and not so much in the iPhone. Other than that audio was pretty much the same on both. I liked the iPhone over the galaxy.

Im an apple guy so even if the samsung looked better I would prob still get the iphone