Apr 3

Press Release: Drew Estate Unveils “Kentucky Fire Cured”

Posted on Wednesday, April 3, 2013 in Informational

Drew Estate Unveils “Kentucky Fire Cured” line extension toMy Uzi Weighs a Ton brand of cigars.
Miami, FL – Drew Estate Inc. announced today the impending release of Kentucky Fire Cured Cigars,an extension to the MUWAT brand also to be produced at the Joya de Nicaragua factory. Indevelopment for over 2.5 years, this extension to the MUWAT line of premium cigars was inspiredduring a trip to the Dominican Republic where Jonathan Drew and Steve Saka were visiting theUniversal Leaf tobacco pre-industry facility.“I remember it as if it were yesterday” states JD. “Fritz Bossert (President of Universal Leaf), SteveSaka and I were smoking Liga Privada T52s in the fermentation area when I noticed a pilon of KentuckyFired Cured tobacco. We took the wrapper off the T52 and placed a thick Kentucky Fire Cured leaf in itsplace. The taste and aroma were simply amazing, but there was just one huge problem – the cigar wouldnot burn properly, and is one of the reasons of the lengthy process it took to get ‘KFC’ to market.”Nicholas Melillo, Executive Vice President of International Operations, was tasked with working on asolution to the burn issue in conjunction with Fritz Bossert, experimenting with using the fire cured leaf in the wrapper leaf position as well as using limited amounts as part of the filler.

DREW ESTATE, INC. April 2, 2013 – For Immediate Release
2 |Page
Six months later we were already producing blends and sharing samples with good friends throughoutthe cigar industry, while keeping the project completely quiet.“In February 2011 we had the pleasure of smoking some of these early samples on the Corona CigarCo.’s Cigar Safari tour,” says Jeff Borysiewicz founder & owner of Corona Cigar Co. “My group reallyenjoyed the aroma and flavor profile and kept asking JD when this product would be ready to market.He kept me waiting until December 2012, when we smoked more KFC samples at my lake house duringthe Christmas holiday. They’ve really come a long way and we look forward to the release.”“The My Uzi Weighs A Ton brand was the first true collaboration between Drew Estate and Joya deNicaragua,” says Michael Cellucci, President of Drew Estate.”The fact that JD wanted to bring the ”MUWAT” franchise under the flag of Subculture Studios is areflection of his love of working with other talented cigar makers. Subculture Studios is more than just agraffiti factory in Nicaragua, it is a ‘mental space’ that JD and Jessi Flores have cultivated throughout theyears and reveals innovation, raw talent and creativity that you find throughout all of Drew Estate atevery level.” There is a lot we have experimented with and all shall be revealed in short order, but for now here is alittle quote from Nicholas Melillo,
Chief of the Broadleafs
, “First off, Kentucky Fire Cured is from astalk-cut tobacco. The initial firing of KFC is done at low heat between 100 F to 115 F degrees andmaintained until the color reaches solid brown. Once color is set temperatures increase to 120F- 130F tocompletely cure down the midrib of the leaf and darken. Once the midrib is dried the temperature will bereduced and the smoke maximized with saw dust to finish the leaf. When KFC hits your olfactory nerveyou know it! “MUWAT Kentucky Fire Cured will be Available in three sizes: 6 x 52 “Just a Friend”, 5 x 56 “FatMolly” and a 4 x 46 “Chunky” in the familiar MUWAT craft paper bundle. Americana style graphicsadorn these new packs.“Kentucky Fire Cured is not something new to the world of tobacco, as it has been grown for over 200years. Easily compared to the smokey taste attributed to a peaty scotch, the KFC picks up nuances of theroasted hickory, oak or maple wood that makes you say ‘Damn, that’s tasty,’” expels Jonathan Drew.”In addition to the fire cured tobaccos of Kentucky and Dark Fire Cured of Virginia, we are finishing thetwo year project of our fire cured tobaccos from another country which DE will not disclose until a timecloser to the actual release of the brand. I’ll just say this: they don’t speak English, Italian or Spanish inthis region of the world.”

1. MorganGeo says:

My Uzi Weighs A ton Bait Fish sell out constanlty on the Cigar Monster site. They must be good. I think they sell for like $20 for 5 which is a good price point.

All this talk of ‘fire cured’ is making me hungry in a weird kind of way. HAHA I’m off to get a nice steak for lunch!

• antomos says:

I just got the bait fish off monster today 5 for 20, can’t wait to try them!

• Daniel Cohen says:

My Uzi weights A TON OR MUWAT is one of my fav cigar lines. I started in reverse, my first one was Bait Fish, this is a great cigar. Now is can feel a bit pricey for a 4X44 stick but once you smoke one and think about it its not to bad for what your getting. The 6X60 is incredible to say the least. Now dont get me wrong 60 RG is big for almost any one, but the blend is so complex that you will for get about the size if the stogie. If you like it in 6X60 and want to know what what it would be like to get more flavor from the wrapper then your in luck, its called +11 and its a 5 1/2 X 52 stick. This will give you more flavor from wrapper.

2. Magicshark13 says:

These look so sweet. You should defiantly try and review this cigar once you get your hands on it.

3. pato1001 says:

How do they finish a leaf with sawdust???

• neocigaro says:

My question also… do they smoke the leaf with sawdust haha have no idea?

• PsycotikMind says:

I think is that the saw dust is burned to finish the curing and drying process.

• lostonmonday says:

The sawdust is used to create a larger quantity of smoke. You can use sawdust on a charcoal grill the same way; get it soaking wet, then through it on the coals. I prefer to use wood chips in an aluminum pillow, but hey, sawdust works too.

• SsgtJerikUSMC says:

On the Charcoal grill, is this to imitate the effect of a smoker for flavor? Can this be replicated on a propane grill anyway? I have a small smokey Joe Weber for when I’m craving some charcoal grilled food but I primarily use my propane grill.

• swj045 says:

try differnt types of wood chips also.hickory,apple,cherry they all have a little differnt taste.

• lostonmonday says:

Sure! Dip a handful or 2 of wood chips in water, then spread them out in a 4″x6″ aluminum packet, cut or rip 1″ holes in the top and through it on the grill. Make sure its smoking before your food goes on. It gets close to a charcoal grill in flavor.

• pittjitsu says:

Yup. You CAN put sawdust in a metal pie pan or any metel dish, stick it over the burner on your gas grill and it will smoke your food for you. When its raining out, this is how I cook outdoors. The key is to make sure your using good hard wood saw dust. If you go to the local furniture maker or carpenter, your likely to get a bag of dust that contains glue and chemicals from the assorted plywood and particle board they cut. So be careful where you get the saw dust from. It works Great by the way!

• pittjitsu says:

they put the sawdust on a metal plate or pot above the flame of the fire. The keep the dust moist so it smolders rather than burns when it heats up. This causes an excess of pure smoke from the wood. Depending on what wood you use, the tobacco will take on said flavor. This is also how you smoke food for competition BBQ

4. puffrey says:

Wow, between this and Sam’s release, I am kind of puzzled to have never hear of this fire cured tobacco before. I don’t much and maybe I need to read up some more.
    Makes me want to eat a big juicy sirloin, then sit in front of the firepit with a tasty Scotch!

5. jomo says:

Hmm, I’ve never had a MUWAT but this looks interesting. I might have to try 1.

6. neocigaro says:

When I was reading through this it was like KFC I am all like what KFC is making cigars now, was thinking about chicken haha

7. SLCigarClassy101 says:

While I’ve never exactly been a fan of smoking infused cigars, Drew Estate is a company that I find is always trying something new and interesting. I’m a real fan of their Liga Privada line, constantly on the look out to snag my hands on each blend they produce. While I have yet to have a MUWAT cigar, this Kentucky fire cured cigar sounds like something right up my alley in complexity and flavors that would be enjoyable. Really looking forward to see what other cigars Drew Estate has in the works!

8. TimB says:

Never smoked the Uzi thought it was just a fad boutique smoke.May just give this a try and get one before the other KFC makes them change the name…

9. Bpope31 says:

Sounds excellent. I need to start trying some drew estate cigars. Everyone seems to love them. Some really cool looking art at the top as well.

10. irratebass says:

I swear is this was posted on 4/1 I would not have been surprised…..this just seems silly to me, but time will tell.

11. MR_EXPRESS says:

Interesting. Also, My Uzi Weighs a Ton sticks are probably pretty good, but the name is just downright hilarious. Uzi’s aren’t at all heavy firearms.

12. Rob says:

A lot of talk recently about fire cured tobacco. It must be an exciting time to work in this industry.

• Walshy says:

It must be. I think just in general it would be cool as hell to work in the cigar industry. I just came acquaintances with Gary Griffith of Emilio Cigars. He is always going back and forth to Nicaragua and the Dominican. I just think the travel would be awesome. Oh yeah and to get paid to smoke cigars all day long.

• Rob says:

I’ve traveled a lot for my job but not to places anyone really wants to go. I’d love to travel to the DR or Nicaragua…and to smoke cigars all day would be a bonus.

I enjoy almost anything drew estate and really enjoy MY Uzi weighs a ton…so looking forward to this and anything else that comes out in this line

• david121 says:

as a drew estate fan, what would you recommend? Personal favorites?

• MorganGeo says:

Bryan got me interested in the Acid Blondie in one of his reviews I saw. I’m just curious to try out that ‘candy’ taste. I have an idea in my head about what its going to be like. This is one of those where I’ll just pick up one at a local shop just to try.

A good friend of mine likes the Kuba Kuba but haven’t heard much about it.

• Walshy says:

Drew Estate have a ton more premium cigars other then infused. The whole Liga Privada line are excellent for the most part. And man are they sought after. They will be the first to sell out on any online store before a ton of other Great cigars. So don’t limit yourself to just their infused cigars.

• SsgtJerikUSMC says:

I am really looking forward to seeking these out now. I constantly see their Acid, and other infused lines everywhere and hope to find some of their non-infused stuff. It seems a lot of their promotional attempts go towards the infused I wonder if some of their non-infused stuff gets passed over because of it?

• Walshy says:

I know from hearing it from Bryan that the Acid line is the number 1 selling cigar in the world. So yes im sure they spend a ton of money to market that. You really have to look for Liga Privada. When i first heard that i had no idea it was from DE. The Liga line is huge as well but much more uncommon if thats the correct wording. Hard to get i guess would be better.

• vscarpine says:

I really enjoy his ACID Blonde and Toast. If you like coffee flavor you will enjoy his JAVA line. I also like his natural dirt (not infused I believe). I enjoy the Liga Privada Undercrown.

My personal favs in order:
        1. Liga Privada Undercrown
        2. Uzi
        3. Natural Dirt
        4.Blondie
        5. Java (not mint)

• swj045 says:

try one called the big juicy if you like a sweet cigar

14. Kalven says:

Hats of to JD and Saka. They are real innovators, with passion and knowledge. I’ll have to try the KFC. What’s next with these guys?

• Walshy says:

I agree 100%. They seem to always be 1 step ahead of the curve. I can’t wait for this blend to hit the stores. If they are anything like the MUWAT then they surely will be tasty.

15. smokethis says:

Pipe tobacco, chewing tobacco, and snuff are fire cured.

16. kurngar says:

I liked the MUWAT that I smoked, and intend on buying more at my B&M. The kentucky fire cured is on my list now.

On a separate note, for a “Press Release” the article is full of bad proof reading, words run together and what not. I know I am a grammar Nazi but this kind of stuff seems to happen more often than not.

17. stevenknisley says:

I honestly don’t like the MUWAT name but I really want to try this KFC blend

18. MPeter7 says:

The fire cured tobacco often smells like the tarry sleeper, below the railway tracks :)
    I tried it within pipe, and I liked it. I’m sure it’s good within cigars too.

19. gtclark says:

Must be the next big thing…I’m waiting for my ultra-big-ring-gauge-fire-cured-ligero-nub cigar

20. SsgtJerikUSMC says:

I’ve never tried any of Drew Estates smokes other than those that are infused. I like them, they’re not my favorite, but they are definitely of quality. Any suggestions on some of their non-infused stuff? Maybe I’ll try out this new brand for starters.

• david121 says:

just run through all the drew estate reviews Bryan has here on the site. You’re bound to find something you think sounds good!

• Rob says:

I started out with the Undercrown and LP Papas Fritas then LP No 9. All great smokes. I have a couple T52 but have not tried them yet.

• Walshy says:

Go after the Liga Privada line. #9,T52, Ferel Flying Pig, all of them are excellent smokes. Ive never been disappointed. Honestly.

• pittjitsu says:

Try the Liga Privada undercrown (lightest) then the #9 (deeper) then the T52. Also, if your into smaller cigars their are the baitfish and the Papa frita, the Papapa Frita is a mixed filler cigar made from the trimmings of all the cigars in the Liga Privada line.

21. Wucioswong says:

excited to see the review of these…. and to try one myself

22. Mr Rojas says:

I think I understand what fire cured tobacco is, but how then are cigars normaly cured? Or are they?

23. garlar10 says:

Hmmm, I wonder if this is going to be like bourbon barrel flavored beers. All the micros breweries seem to have at least one bourbon barrel beer. It will be interesting if other cigar manufactures get into this kentucky fire cured trend.

24. david121 says:

When I first started reading this I read it as “Kentucky Fried Chicken” lol that would be an interesting cigar!
    The only Drew Estate I’ve had was the Blondie. Not a bad experience. I think I’m going to try the Java next, my friend suggested it to me

• SsgtJerikUSMC says:

The Java is great. I tried one out based on Bryan’s review and it was delicious. Definitely more of a desert type of Cigar with the infused flavors but worth a try for sure. I smoked mine after dinner with a Colombian coffee.

25. Walshy says:

I could only imagine how pissed JD is. Im sure he wanted to be one of the first to come out with a line of this “Fire Cured” tobacco. And just yesterday that new line from Sam Leccia was announced. I bet you said a few choice words for not being the first.

26. RobinsonV says:

I dig the graphics on the boxes or bundles. I hope the cigar is as good

27. Chaz says:

Good to see some reasonable ring gauges here- the huge rings have kept me away from MUWAT’s in the past. Sounds like an interesting smoke.

28. reallybigd says:

Has anyone here tried any of the Uzi series? I know Drew Estates makes “classic” style cigars, but they have all these brands and lines that seem to be aimed towards non-cigar smokers with all these crazy infused cigars, colored packaging, and names. Has anyone tried the Uzi line, and your opinion?

I’m new to smoking cigars, but so far Padron and Alec Bradly are by far the best. I’ve tried probably 4-5 Rocky Patel’s and haven’t been overly impressed.

• pittjitsu says:

I have tried the entire line from dirty rats to flying feral pigs to the Uzi, the ligas and acids. the only thing I havent tried is the coffee infused cigars like tabak. They are GREAT cigars in general. I would say that the infuded Acids are the worst of the bunch and that’s only because the others are so good. I would start with an Undercrown and see what you think. If you like it, you will love the #9. There is always a debate as to which is better, the T52 or the #9.One is grittier and the other one is more balanced and smoother. Both are amazing smokes IMO. Th e Uzis are also great but do not compare with the #9. To me, the 9 is top notch and sits with the best of them. AF. Padron and AB.

29. Texvet says:

I will happily try this new brand. But, I won’t chase it all over heck’s 1/2 acre for it. I am not all that impressed with the whole “outside of the box” funky hats and glasses thing. But the DE stuff I’ve tried has been enjoyable.

30. LunchBox87km says:

Never tried this brand but will love to try it specially once they release the KFC smokes Will have to check out the brand for sure an see if my local B&M Carries it

31. AngSolo says:

Hmmm seems like fire cured tobacco is the latest fad. I’m going to have to try one when available so I guess I’ll see what all the huff is about. I mean Your going to smoke smoked leaf. How much more smokey can you get !

32. NMartin says:

Another fire-cured tobacco proclamation. I can’t wait. If this means more strength and body, it’s definitely for me. I’ve been wanting to try the MUWAT for a little while now, I guess now’s as good a time as ever to go grab one.

33. USA2ndAmendment says:

This is awesome! I am super excited about this cigar. It sounds great, and it’s from Drew Estate, one of my top 2 cigar brands. Any idea when they should hit local cigar stores and not just online?

34. samgiroux42 says:

Sounds pretty promising. May stay away from the honkin’ huge ring gauge, but the Chunky seems up my alley.

what exactly does fire cured mean…does anyone know how it changes/improves the taste? Just wondering cause I have never heard of it before

• SsgtJerikUSMC says:

If you go over to the Sam Leccia update, he himself talks about the process and it’s effects.

• MorganGeo says:

Per Sam Leccia …. ‘The wood fire cured technique is as old as tobacco itself. It’s just a different way of drying the leaves. Give a very unique flavor and aroma. I added just a leaf in the blend. It doesn’t overpower it or under-perform. I stumbled across it when creating the blend, and knew I needed to try and use it. I really feel it ties the blend together.’

36. Joseph Szeremet says:

I absolutely love the MUWAT line. As a favorite of mine I love that Drew Estates is continuing and growing it. However I went to the Drew Estates website and could not find any information about the MUWAT line at all. Kind of disappointing.

37. dvillan87 says:

I can’t wait for these. I have 10 MUWAT Baitfish and love those little suckers !!! I just hope that these have more of a pepper spice kick, the baitfish has alot of flavor but i feel like it is missing something, hope these new MUWAT adresses this.

38. mrl4889 says:

Not a huge fan of the original MUWAT line but I must say the “digital son six” which was exclusive to Outland cigars here in Charlotte NC (my local B+M) is absolutely incredible. Full, rich, oily flavors much different from the original MUWAT. So if this new KFC line is anything like that we are in for a real treat.

PS if anyone is interested I think Outland cigars will take online orders for the Digital Son Six. I highly recommend them

39. Kace says:

Everytime they said KFC in the article, all I could think about was chicken. Lol.

40. zanlamb says:

Sounds very like the Sam Leccia Black Dominican or is that just me?

41. Kace says:

I was looking at some videos on YouTube about fire cured tobacco and I noticed this process is used on snuff and chewing tobacco. It’s going to be interesting to try.

42. connorkern says:

How do you finish a leaf with sawdust?

• lostonmonday says:

Fires are used to heat cure the tobacco, and as the last step, sawdust is added to the fires to increase the smoke, thereby imparting more smoke flavor into the tobacco leaves.

43. Freddy62 says:

I can’t wait to get my hands on these, I bet it’s going to be a very unique smoke!

44. gumby_130 says:

Being from kentucky can’t wait it try it. Hope it pair well with bourbon.

45. playersrun1 says:

wasnt the last press release about fire cured cigars? seems like a trend already

46. zanlamb says:

can anyone suggest the best spot for cigars in Miami? Im visiting from the UK soon

47. playersrun1 says:

looking forward to DE coming to CI at Hamburg later this month for their big promo event

48. Boucher207 says:

I’ll have to try these.

49. TampaPete says:

As stated above, most pipe tobacco is “fire cured” in one way or another, it’s part of the aging process, just like aging and rotating the cigar leaf bales. Kentucky, especially Cumberland, tobacco is very common in many pipe blends, and there are a few where it’s the primary leaf. The best one I’ve had is G.L. Pease Cumberland (http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/g-l-pease/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=1596). Interestingly enough, GLP also makes a blend with cigar leaf in it.
    Long story short, I’m looking forward to trying these soon :)

50. BBEJ4321 says:

I can’t wait to try this

51. D-Pap says:

Depending on what type of wood (sawdust) they use for the fire curing it could be a rank smoke. Latakia is a type of pipe tobacco that is fire cured and when burning IMO smells like burning tires. It does however taste better than it smells. It also increases the strength of the blend. It works for some in pipe tobacco, but I don’t know how the cigar public will react to it. If it smells anything like Latakia count me out.

52. dbfr181 says:

I’m sure DE will have another home run here with this one!

53. Bosoxlaxcarl says:

I don’t know if it is just the college student in me or what, but whenever I see Kentucky in regards to things like this it instantly triggers thoughts of bourbon, which brings me to this question have any of you guys tried the Maker’s Mark cigars? I really like their bourbon and would like to try the cigars. I think it would be awesome to see a video review up here on CO

54. GurkhaMan says:

As a pipe and cigar smoker I can tell you, smoked and fire-cured tobaccos are a good thing! I love the MUWAT, haven’t tried the Baitfish yet but can’t wait to try KFC! (They should sell them in buckets. Lol)

55. PAG says:

The release mentions “fire cured tobaccos of Kentucky and Dark Fire Cured of Virginia”. Does anybody know of any readily available cigars that use either of these? It might provide a little sneak preview.